Call Us: 905-822-1171
ST. CHRISTOPHER’S ROMAN CATHOLIC PARISH - 1956
St. Christopher’s Roman Catholic Church took over the Carman United Church building on the Lakeshore Road in 1956 under the direction of Reverend Louis J. Hickey, who had been appointed the founding pastor.
The first Sunday Masses were held on October 14, 1956, with 180 parishioners in attendance. On December 9, the Church was blessed and opened by His Excellency Bishop Allen.
As the congregation grew, it was inevitable that a new, larger church would be required. A building fund was started and on May 30, 1962, St. Christopher’s contracted to have a Church, Hall and Rectory built on Clarkson Road North. The first sod was turned on June 3, 1962 and construction began. On February 24, 1963, His Excellency Bishop Allen returned to consecrate the new building with his Excellency Cardinal McGuigan investing Father Hickey as a domestic Prelate.
Previous Pastors were Rev. James K. Stephenson (November 1980) and Rev. Paul J. McCarthy (July 1992). In July of 2004, Rev. Scott Young was assigned as Pastor of St. Christopher’s Parish.
Our parish schools are IONA Catholic Secondary School, St. Christopher, St. Louis and St. Helen Elementary Schools. St. Luke School is shared by St. Christopher’s Parish and St. Mary, Star of the Sea Parish in Port Credit.
There are now over 4,000 families registered at St. Christopher’s Parish. Boundaries are the QEW on the north, Winston Churchill Blvd on the west, Lake Ontario on the south and Lornewood Creek on the east.
The parish has many activities for its parishioners such as Bible Sharing, Legion of Mary, Youth Programmes and the Knights of Columbus.